CHW Training Center
CHW Training Center
A Community Health Worker (CHW) or “promotora” is a trusted member of the community who has a uniquely close understanding of the community served. This relationship enables community health workers to serve as a bridge between health and social services and the community to facilitate access to services and improve the quality and cultural competence of service delivery. Community Health Workers are an essential workforce contributing to the health and wellbeing of individuals and communities.
El Buen Samaritano has played a key role in the strengthening and sustainability of the Community Health Worker workforce in Austin, Travis County since 2012.
El Buen hosts the only bilingual certified Community Health Worker Training Center in Central Texas, which provides comprehensive bilingual certification for community health workers. Certified in 2012 by the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS), El Buen has certified over fifty-five CHW’s through our training program, and over 125 CHW’s have received bilingual continuing education units or CEUs. The individuals that participate in our program have competencies not only in skill, but also in cultural relevance that can be translated throughout the State of Texas and beyond.
How to Access Services
- Certification Training: Certification Training: In this current semester, we offer CEUs only. We will provide updated information on the availability of our CHW Certification Course. Coming Fall 2021.
- Continuing Education Training: Buen continues to offer ongoing CHW CEU Training series per semester. We work together with local organizations to provide topics such as teen dating violence prevention, adolescents and consent in Texas, and Trauma Informed Care among others. You can find detailed information on this semester’s series as well as information on registration above.
Subsidized Registration Fee is $450
CLICK HERE to Register for our CHW Training
Additional services provided by El Buen’s CHW training center include:
- collaboration on research related to CHW
- specialized training packages for organizations working with CHWs
- consulting on CHW program planning and implementation.
- Dates and times
- Curriculum details
- Hospital savings